We are happy to announce a new feature:
Now you can run single Dashboard widgets from our catalog standalone without loading your Mobile Widgetop Desktop first. This makes it possible put them on the homescreen of the iPhone and access them very quickly.
- Go to the Mobile Widgetop Desktop with the Safari browser: m.widgetop.com
- Just open the Add Widget page on your iPhone by tapping this icon:
- Browse the catalog and select the widget you want.
- Tap the the new Open as Application button:
- It opens a new browser window with the selected widget:
- If you want to bookmark the widget or put it on your home screen just press the little plus sign at the bottom bar of Safari:
The standalone widgets on your home screen won’t make your desktop obsolete because there are a few limitations:
- All widgets of the same type share their settings. This means there can only be one instance per widget type.
- The settings for each widget are stored in a local cookie on the iPhone. They aren’t synced back to our server and you can’t modify them from your desktop computer. If you clear the cookies you will lose all settings (You can remove the settings for a single widget type by tapping the icon on the tool bar).
So the standalone feature will be perfect mostly for tool widgets like calculators, which don’t store any important state and need one instance only.